We may not be able to celebrate Halloween the way we usually do in Kew – but we’re determined to still celebrate!
How can you get involved in all the spooky, scary fun?
FREE LOLLY BAGS, JUST BY SHOPPING LOCAL
Collect free lolly bags for your kids, just by spending with any business in Kew Junction between 10am – 3pm on Sat, Oct 30 or Sun, Oct 31. All you need do is:
- Spend with a business in Kew Junction AND get your receipt
- Head to the war memorial (cnr High St and Cotham Rd) and look for our Halloween characters
- Show them the receipt and collect your lolly bag/s
- Remember to take note of the times they’ll be there so you don’t miss out!
- All our characters are double vaxxed and will be adhering to social distancing and mask restrictions in place at the time. They will also be sanitising their hands regularly
- All those collecting please also adhere to mask regulations and social distancing restrictions
A DAY OF ONLINE HALLOWEEN ACTIVITIES
Get the kids to participate in our online Halloween extravaganza running online between 10am – 4pm on Sun, Oct 31. See below for all the wonderful activities they can get involved in and, to watch, all you need to do is head to our Facebook event and click on the live when it starts. It’s all free and there’s no need to register. Head over to the Facebook event now and click ‘going’ to receive notifications of what’s coming up and when.
If you miss any of the activities or your ids can’t keep up, don’t worry, they are all saved to the event and you can watch the replay at any time afterwards.
ENTER OUR HALLOWEEN DRESS-UP COMPETITION
Enter our Halloween dress-up competition and be in the draw to win great prizes! Enter on the FB competition post that will go live on our Facebook Page on Sun, Oct Oct 31 and you’ll be in the draw!
20 x $100 vouchers to your fave business in Kew to be won and a $100 voucher prize for the best-dressed pet!
Sunday 31 October at 10am
potion mixing with fairy mary & the wishing well
Did you know magic and science come from the same place? Your child will have hands on learning fun creating their own magic lava sensory bottles. Join Mary the fairy scientist for a wonderful morning of potion making. We encourage you to dress up and get in the Halloween mood!! Fairy Mary will have magical stories to share too.
You will need:
- A recycled water bottle or similar
- Food colouring
- A funnel or jug for pouring
If don’t have the above ingredients you can also use vinegar, oil and baking soda.
Sunday 31 October at 11am
special effects halloween makeup
- Fake blood (can be home made or store bought from Masquerade Costume Hire at 238 High Street, Kew)
- Latex or modelling wax (We will show both)
- Dark eye shadow
- Foundation of your skin colour
- An old makeup brush and sponge 🧽
- A straw or toothpick to poke a hole in the latex with
- Cotton bud
Sunday 31 October at 12pm
ollivander's wand shop - making realistic harry potter inspired wands
- A chopstick/stick
- Polymer clay (can be purchased at Spotlight and other such places)
- Paint in your preferred house colours
- Foil/oven tray/oven
- Glue and hot glue gun
- Decorative gems 💎
Sunday 31 October at 1pm
Create your very own Halloween Jack ‘o’ lantern!
You will need:
- A large pumpkin. NOTE: buy well in advance of Halloween as they can sell out – Toscano’s often sell them. Carving pumpkins are empty inside, are lighter weight, cheaper and bright orange! They are much easier to carve than regular pumpkins. If you can’t find one we will give you lots of tips on how to carve a regular pumpkin too.
- A serrated knife (adult supervision required)
- A large spoon
- A tea light candle
Sunday 31 October at 2pm
halloween story telling
Let us take you into a world of mystery and magic. Settle in for an afternoon of creepy stories and Halloween mythology, voodoo, superstition, wizardry, vampires, ghosts and more!
- Ears and a love of spooky stories 🙂
- Snacks or Halloween lollies to eat while enjoying
Sunday 31 October at 3pm
MAKE halloween mocktail punch
- 425g can lychees
- 225g jar cocktail cherries
- 15 raisins
- 1 litre carton blueberry, blackberry or purple grape juice, chilled
- 1 litre carton cherry or cranberry juice, chilled
- 1 litre sparkling water, chilled
- 2 pairs powder-free disposable gloves
- STEP 1 – Rinse the disposable gloves and fill each with water. Tie a knot in the top of each as you would a balloon, or use a tight bag clip to hold the opening closed. Freeze overnight.
- STEP 2 – Drain the lychees and cocktail cherries, reserving the juices in a jug. Push a raisin into one end of each cherry, then push the cherries into the lychees to make ‘eyeballs’.
- STEP 3 – Tip all of the juices, plus the reserved lychee and cherry juices, into a large bowl with the ‘eyeballs’. Carefully peel the gloves from the ice hands, add to the punch, then top up with the sparkling water.